(LoginRegister)

Silent Hill 2 on survival horror [spoilers]
Metallium Offline
Lord of Nightmares

Silent Hill 2 on survival horror [spoilers]
I remember when twin perfect came out with the video that berated downpour for taking "survival " out of horror gaming. However, I think silent hill 2 did that to the point where there was hardly any emphasis on surviving. At the very least it could be considered "soft" survival horror, but I am hesitant of even that.

The reason is because almost all games have some degree of survival . The difference with the "horror " part is that there ia emphasis on surviving for fear based reasons and other implications that set it apart from other genres. Sh2 lacks this and while shattered memories lacks the "horror" part, despite no combat, it still emphasized surviving. But I digress.

Let's start. In 2 the combat was never an emphasis, while this doesn't necessarily make it not survival horror , the game still lacks a good deal of defensive and evasive maneuvers to make up for that. This is coupled with while there is limited ammunition and health items the player is given them in abundance. Even on hard mode the game is quite easily beaten. One doesn't have to rely on evasion or counting bullets too much to survive. For some the lack of challenges makes the game and it's combat weak and boring. This was a major complaint across both American and Japanese audiences, the pressure of which caused the designers to redesign the combat in 3 to a more survival emphasis.

Another point of contention that makes it questionable in the survival horror genre is the fact that despite the game giving you plenty in supplies, the player doesn't have to fight moat enemies. The monster at the beginning and Eddie's fihht being exceptions. All monsters can be ran from and 90 percent of the boss fights are timed and the player can simply dodge by running. Even during the final stages of the game.

I did a video on it with horrible sound editing. [Just a heads up.]

"Human lives are my toys!" - Hellmaster Fibrizo
[Image: cheshire_cat_signature_bytajimfuck_kuros...4a9e1n.jpg]
02-04-2014 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SystemThurtySix Offline
Pieces

RE: Silent Hill 2 on survival horror [spoilers]
I think being able to kill an enemy in a horror game takes away from the horror aspect, how do they expect you to be afraid of an enemy you can kill(easily at that) I would much rather have it where you have to run to get away, something along the lines of slenderman but silent hill style Big Grin

Monocle Man - "Kid in a sweet shop/candy shop sometimes.
And the perceived slight when you hardly see anyone replying to them!
It's all about the views... Wink"
02-07-2014 11:09 PM
Metallium Offline
Lord of Nightmares

That's called silent hill shattered memories. Wink

02-08-2014 12:17 AM
SystemThurtySix Offline
Pieces

Ah, was not aware of that existing lmao. Was it any good?

02-08-2014 01:48 AM
Avery_Island Offline

^ Yes, Silent Hill Shattered Memories was a fantastic game, though it was probably the least scary game in the series, but it was still really atmospheric and beautiful.
02-09-2014 12:20 PM
qqryq Offline
Knight who say "Ni"

(02-09-2014 12:20 PM)Avery_Island Wrote:  ^ Yes, Silent Hill Shattered Memories was a fantastic game, though it was probably the least scary game in the series, but it was still really atmospheric and beautiful.

My favourite Silent Hill game. I love it.

[Image: 400px-Knightni.jpg]
02-09-2014 07:55 PM
SystemThurtySix Offline
Pieces

What made it least scary though? I mean there should be different tactics in a game where you cannot kill the enemy, only being able to run and hide is rather boring I think you should be able to set up traps and things to slow them down. Or have a enemy like pyramid head chasing after you(not really pyramid head but someone that is like him in the scents of being almost unstoppable) idk

02-10-2014 06:57 AM
Metallium Offline
Lord of Nightmares

It's the opposite of 2. It's not very scary but it focuses on survival. You can put obstacles down to mess with enemies, use defensive maneuvers, and hide though. It's a great game as everyone has said.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 02:08 PM by Metallium.)
02-11-2014 02:07 PM
McQuiggle Offline
Something

Personally I don't think any of the games feel fitting as survival horror at all. It's psychological horror that's meant to make the player question what's real or isn't. Some of them have mechanics that push the concept, for sure. But the survival mechanics always feel tacked on as gameplay fluff and just fitting in with the genre. The survival aspect just really doesn't mesh well with the themes and overall style that the series is most known for.

I think Shattered Memories is the furthest away from Survival Horror in that it doesn't really have resource management or anything of the sort. And enemy encounters are even styled in a way that they don't "kill" the player character. It's all designed in a way that just does not focus on fighting for your life. And despite its flaws, it took the series further into tying its gameplay in better with its storytelling. And this is the track I think the series really needs to take. Rather than compromising for the sake of 'survival' horror.

I agree on the idea that Silent Hill 2 is the least survival-horrorish of the first four. And take that as a good thing. It did its best to push those mechanics into the background. Giving greater focus to its story and letting the less threatening enemies reflect aspects of it. I feel like Silent Hill 4 would be more widely accepted as a classic if it hadn't pushed its survival mechanics so hard. It's a shame, half of the game shows unique game design built around storytelling.. But it's partially bogged down due to the needs of genre recognition. As for Downpour, there are so many problems with that game, and unnecessary focus on survival mechanics is one of them.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2014 03:21 AM by McQuiggle.)
02-15-2014 12:08 AM
clips Offline
BliNd AmBiTiOnS....

I guess i'm one of the few that thought SM was a snore-fest. Exploring the enviroments was interesting at first, but ended up being non-threatning and just a conduit to get from point A-B. And for me the profiling mechanic was juvenile. And the raw-shocks were just underwhelming...i understood their purpose, but i just didn't like the execution and the chase sequences sometimes had you running in circles during the later stages of the game.

The story was good and the twist at the end was nice, but i really wasn't impressed with SM...i thought Downpour even with it's weak monster design and questionable control mechanics had amazing atmosphere and tried some interesting new concepts with introducing side stories which i felt some were good and others didn't transistion smoothly alongside the main storyline.

As far as SH2 goes? It's easy as far as horror goes in general, but it's focus was mainly it's story and the game still had you immersed in amazing atmosphere and art direction and design. It's easy to look back in hindsight and see how easy the game was, but when you first initially played it, that wasn't the first element that came to your mind. I still think it handles it's overall survival mechanics well...if a bit tad easy.

I will say this, i would rather have a game that is not frustrating to play and smoothly alines itself with it's flow than to play a game that is frustratingly difficult due to artificially increasing the degree of difficulty...there should be a nice balance because at the end of the day i would probably trade in a game with cheap game mechanics than one that does not inherit such devices.

Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...these are the basic fundamentals of life...

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
03-14-2014 09:56 PM